Recipe (adapted for a liveaboard galley)
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and halved (large ones quartered)
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used already cooked shrimp)
4 ounces snow peas, trimmed (2 cups)
1. Let shrimp defrost in cooking pot, if frozen.
2. Cut up ginger and garlic, place in bowl. Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, and red pepper flakes. Let sit aside while other items are prepped.
3. Remove shrimp with slotted spoon and place in colander to drain. With water in pot, heat on stove and prepare brown rice (if using boil-in-bag rice).
4. Once rice is cooked, remove bag of rice and let drain. Use 3/4 cup of the hot water to pour over dehydrated shiitake mushrooms. Let hydrate, covered, for 20 minutes.
5. Remove mushrooms but retain the liquid. You may choose to add this liquid to your garlic ginger mixture. I did, and it was a nice addition. Word on the internet is that the liquid is rich and tasty.
6. In a large skillet or wok, heat oil over medium-high. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, just until tender, about 5 minutes.
7. Stir in garlic mixture and cook until slightly reduced, about 2 minutes.
8. Add shrimp and snow peas and cook, stirring, until shrimp are opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes.
9. Serve stir fry over brown rice and enjoy : )