Boatmade Dog Treats

When in the house, I became a bit of a crazy couponer (especially when it came to dog treats). Coupons would substantially bring down the cost of dog treats - you know, a staple in our household. Aboard, there is not an abundance of space to keep stockpiles of groceries (and dog treats), so we've gone back to buying a box at a time.

Yet, I realized that we likely had the ingredients aboard to make easy treats so one Saturday I gave them a try. Success! I found an easy dog treat recipe with a basic Google search, and I learned that making treats aboard not only makes my dog happy and saves money, but it also uses up some of the staples we always have - flour, for one.

No room to keep a rolling pin aboard so I use a wine bottle.
Pizza cutter helps make nice square treats. I'd like to get a bone cookie cutter for next time.
I sprinkled chicken bullion power on top of the biscuits, for a special additional taste. 
Entire recipe filled above canister with treats. An abundance for a little bit of time and money. 
Recently, I've noticed that our dog comes into the galley when I'm washing dishes or cooking dinner. He just stands there, so I'll ask him, "Do you want a cookie?" He sits down, I grab one homemade treat for him, and then he goes back to the couch. So, recipe is pooch tested and approved!

He likes it!


From Caesar Milan 

    Ingredients
  • 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour 
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tsp. Beef or chicken Bouillon granules (can substitute beef or chicken broth/stock)
  • ½ cup hot water

  • Optional Add ins
  • Bacon or chicken broth, eggs, oats, liver powder, wheat germ, shredded cheese, bacon bits

    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    2. Dissolve bouillon in hot water
    3. Add remaining ingredients
    4. Knead dough until it forms a ball (approximately 3 minutes)
    5. Roll dough until ½ inch thick
    6. Cut into slices or bone shapes
    7. Place dough pieces on lightly greased cookie sheet
    8. Cook for 30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment